JOB TITLE: Youth Drop-in Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Youth Drop-In Program Manager
STATUS: Full-Time/40 hours/week/Non-Exempt
COMPENSATION: $24.50/hour (Annual Salary is $50,960), Paid medical insurance, paid vacation time, personal days, health days and holidays.
SCHEDULE: Tuesday – Saturday and occasional evening hours required.
Summary: The Youth Services at the SF LGBT Center include structured group programming, crisis intervention and referral services, leadership development, a dedicated drop-in youth space, on-site access to therapy and counseling and a Host Home program. Low-barrier services are designed to reach disconnected lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning (LGBTQQ) youth ages 16 – 24. The program is rooted in community building, trauma-informed care and harm reduction models. A high percentage of program participants have experienced physical and/or sexual abuse, homelessness, engagement with criminal justice and/or foster care systems, substance use/abuse, and/or mental health challenges.
Role Overview: Under the direction of the Youth Drop-in Program Manager, the Youth Drop-in Coordinator implements innovative group and drop-in programming with a focus on health and wellness, arts and culture, economic empowerment, leadership development and community building.
- Coordinate and implement all group activities for youth participants including one or more of the following: drop- in activities, workshops, meal nights, special events, and other youth program activities. Coordination of events will include: facilitation or co-facilitation of group activities; creation of curricula and workshop materials, and coordination of services provided by collaborative partners.
- Ensure that community agreements and policies related to the youth space and provision of youth services are followed. Identify youth program participants who have referral, crisis intervention and/or case management needs or behavioral issues and refer them to internal or external resources for support.
- Support activities conducted by collaborative partners, including maintaining appropriate relationships with partner program staff and basic understanding of referral/resource networks for transitional age youth.
- Create and distribute monthly Drop-in calendar to partnering agencies and youth participants.
- Execute outreach activities to ensure program promotion and participation.
- Collect required data from all program participants; ensure program materials and supplies are adequate for program needs, and that the youth space is well maintained.
- Provide monthly written reports and other administrative data entry required by Program Manager.
- Actively participate as a member of the program team, including provision of back up for other program staff as needed.
- Work Tuesday – Saturday. Occasional evening hours will be required.
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Commitment to the mission of the SF LGBT Center and a strong commitment to racial, social and economic justice.
- Experience and commitment to working in a multicultural environment.
- Understanding of the needs of vulnerable LGBTQ communities, strategies to meet their needs, and ability to work with a broad range of constituents, program participants, and stakeholders representing the full diversity of the LGBTQ and allied communities. A champion for building pathways for people not served by mainstream systems.
- Minimum two years experience in working with LGBTQQ youth and demonstrated ability to work with homeless and/or marginally housed, disengaged transitional age youth (16-24). Strong cultural competency regarding transgender and gender non-conforming youth, communities of color, and youth needing mental health support.
- Experience with working in drop-in space and/or workshop facilitation strongly preferred.
- Ability to work within a harm reduction model and experience working in trauma informed programs as well as strong experience providing services addressing homelessness, violence, substance use, mental health, and criminal justice systems.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, conflict resolution and de-escalation skills. Excellent customer service abilities, outgoing and engaging personality.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality. As youth services are provided within a collaborative context, position may need to meet guidelines established by collaborative partners to share confidential client information across agencies.
- Familiarity with youth empowerment, harm reduction and trauma informed models of service provision.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively with supervisor or as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Computer/PC literacy, including Internet proficiency, Microsoft
- Office software and networked systems. Salesforce experience desired.
- Fluency in English is required. Bilingual or ASL skills highly desired.
Criminal background and TB Test clearance required.
THE SF LGBT CENTER
The mission of the Center is to connect our diverse community to opportunities, resources, and each other to achieve our vision of a stronger, healthier, and more equitable world for LGBT people and our allies. The Center’s strategies inspire and strengthen our community by:
• Fostering greater opportunities for people to thrive
• Organizing for our future
• Celebrating our history and culture
• Building resources to create a legacy for future generations
The SF LGBT Center is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or inter-sex are encouraged to apply. The SF LGBT Center maintains a policy of non-discrimination with respect to employees and applicants for employment. No aspect of employment will be influenced in any matter by race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, physical disability (including HIV or AIDS), medical condition, perceived physical disability or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by statute.
Cover letter expressing your interest
Resume detailing experience/qualifications
SF LGBT Center
1800 Market Street
San Francisco CA 94102
Or fax to: (415) 865-5501
Please include: Youth Drop-In Coordinator in subject line
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
DEADLINE: Open until filled. First round of applicants will be reviewed by December 1, 2018